I seem to be in a rut. A cookie bar rut. I can admit it and that’s the first step, right? However, I can’t say that I think this rut is a bad thing. There is fresh baking on the counter, my family is happy and it took me almost no time to accomplish that. Sounds like win, win, win for me!
These bars are so ooey gooey and rich that you can serve a small bar and no one will mind. Perfect with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee. Evan and Dewey both gave them two big thumbs up and Evan asked me if I could please make them more often.
Next time I make these, I want to add sweetened coconut. If I had found some in the cupboard, I would have added it today. I think there are all kinds of great fillings that would work: nutella, peanut butter, pretzel pieces, almonds, coconut and pretty much any chocolate candy. The sweetened condensed milk is the key to the ooey gooeyness so don’t skip that part!
Ooey Gooey Chocolate Butterscotch Pecan Cookie Bars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 8X8 baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix melted butter, egg, vanilla and sugars.
- Add flours and baking soda and mix until just incorporated.
- Spread 2/3 of the dough in to the baking dish.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and pecans over the dough.
- Pour condensed milk over chips and pecans.
- Spread remaining dough evenly over the pan.
- Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Cool for 10 minutes before cutting (they'll still be gooey but really....who can wait longer than that?)
So tell me…what is your favorite bar cookie recipe? I need some new ones to try out since I am deep, deep in my bar cookie rut.