Christmas is the perfect holiday for a decadent, delicious and special breakfast. Unfortunately, many “special” breakfast options chain you to the stove when you want to be lounging around the tree opening presents. My Mother-In-Law made this delicious Overnight Blueberry French Toast Casserole every Christmas. She and I would make it the night before. Then you pop it in the fridge for the night and then in the oven once Christmas morning arrives. All the blueberry and cream cheese deliciousness makes it special for Christmas without ruining Christmas morning for the cook. It’s a win/win all around.
You can skip the homemade blueberry sauce if you like. Overnight Blueberry French Toast Casserole is also delicious with pure maple syrup…though I would be lying if I said it was as good. I am partial to the homemade blueberry syrup. So if you can, take the time to make it. You won’t regret it, I promise!
- 3/4 loaf French bread
- 6 oz lite cream cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cups milk
- 2 1/2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 tsp butter
- Grease a 2 quart casserole dish. Cut bread into 1 inch cubes. Place half the bread cubes in casserole dish. Sprinkle with cream cheese and blueberries. Top with remaining bread cubes.
French Toast Bake
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk and syrup. Pour over the bread mixture in the casserole dish. Press down on bread to make sure that the egg mixture is distributed throughout the bread. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- Take out of refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove plastic wrap from casserole and cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and center is set. Let sit for 5 - 10 minutes prior to serving.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Add water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil 3 minutes while stirring constantly. Add blueberries and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 8-10 minutes or until blueberries burst. Stir in butter until melted. Serve with french toast above.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 338 Saturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 96mg Sodium: 340mg Carbohydrates: 59g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 34g Protein: 9g
Love the Overnight Blueberry French Toast Casserole but want to try other breakfast recipe? Check these out!