Trying to cut back on grains has been much easier than I thought it would be. My one BIG question is what to eat for a paleo breakfast. You see, I’m not a huge egg person and I like something super quick…..a bowl of cereal, a piece of toast, a granola bar, a container of yogurt. Since ALL of those are now off limits, I’ve had to put my thinking cap on. What can I make that is simple, delicious and grain free? For the first few days I ate hard boiled eggs every day but that got old pretty quickly.
Today I made my second egg and veggie scramble. I realize that this is a ridiculous thing to post as a recipe but sometimes posts just like this make me think “Oh yeah….that would be tasty and it’s easy!”. Feel free to mix and match whatever vegetables and meats you have the refrigerator for the ones I’ve listed. Just stay away from starchy vegetables like potatoes or beans. If you want to make this REALLY fast, pre-chop your veggies for the week and keep them in a tupperware container.
- 2 pieces uncooked bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 red bell pepper, seeds removed and coarsely chopped
- 3 brown mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup baby spinach, approximately
- 2 large eggs
- Place chopped bacon in a non-stick pan and heat over medium-high heat until bacon begins to look cooked but isn't crisp.
- Drain off excess bacon fat.
- Add onions and bell peppers to the pan and cook until onions start to soften.
- Add mushrooms and stir. Cook until mushrooms start to turn cook.
- Add spinach.
- In a small bowl, scramble the eggs.
- Stir veggies in skillet to wilt spinach and pour eggs over the vegetables.
- Tilt pan so that the egg spreads across the entire pan.
- Let cook for a moment and then stir the ingredients so the egg cooks throughout (this is why they are "messy").
- Continue cooking until eggs are cooked through.
- Plate and enjoy (make sure to taste before you add salt or pepper as the salt from the bacon may mean you don't need any additional seasoning.)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 346 Saturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 356mg Sodium: 433mg Carbohydrates: 8g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 3g Protein: 19g
What is your go to paleo breakfast or regular?
Looking for more breakfast ideas? Check these out!