I know, I know….I promised that I would go on some crazy (to some) diet. I haven’t but I am trying very hard to cut down on grains (which *may* put a kink in my baking…we’ll see). These days everyone is talking about “going paleo”. I’m not sure I’m up to going the whole way. I love dairy and don’t really get why I need to give it up. And I also have a pretty hardcore sweetened latte habit so there’s that too. Yeah, it doesn’t sound like I’m giving up anything, does it. Well, I am. I haven’t had any bread (except the wrapper of a tiny spanakopita last night) in days. No toast, no noodles, no cookies, no crackers. Nothing. Nada. It hasn’t been as bad as I feared but it does take a bit of extra thinking when I get hungry.
Tonight we were going to go out to dinner but our plans changed. I didn’t have anything thawed out to cook so I decided to wing it. Thankfully I had a fridge full of veggies and frozen shrimp in the freezer. Shrimp are awesome as a last minute protein because they thaw super fast in water. So a bit of this and a bit of that was chopped up to add to the skillet. Then a quick glance at the interwebs to remind me what was “allowed” on paleo and what wasn’t. What emerged was a delicious curry that I would make again in a minute. Without rice it is a bit runny but I ate the sauce with a spoon with no complaints. I think you could easily make this same recipe and add chicken broth to it to make a delightful soup. Dewey and I both really enjoyed it and I will make it again. Be warned, though, if you use a full teaspoon of red pepper flakes it is quite spicy so adjust accordingly.
Paleo Coconut Lime Shrimp Curry is an easy and delicious paleo recipe that comes together quickly and tastes great.
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or up to 1 tsp. Warning that is runny nose hot
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled, cut in half and sliced thinly
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup brown mushrooms
- 1 pound raw shrimp, shelled, deveined with tails removed
- 3 large handfuls of baby spinach
- juice of 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix the coconut milk, curry powder, grated ginger and red pepper flakes in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the coconut oil over medium high to high heat.
- Add the garlic and cook until just brown.
- Add onions and cook until they begin to soften.
- Add broccoli and celery. Cook until brocolli starts to turn bright green.
- Add mushrooms and shrimp. Cook until shrimp start to turn pink (but are not done).
- Add sauce and stir. Bring mixture to a bubble. Add baby spinach.
- Stir to incorporate spinach.
- Add lime juice and cook until spinach wilts.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- If you are paleo....eat. If you are not, server with steamed rice.
I think you could easily add chicken broth to this to make soup.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 386Saturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 285mgSodium: 947mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 28g
Looking for other Paleo recipes? Check these out!