I know, I know….I promised that I would go on some crazy (to some) diet. I haven’t but I am trying very hard to cut down on grains (which *may* put a kink in my baking…we’ll see). These days everyone is talking about “going paleo”. I’m not sure I’m up to going the whole way. I love dairy and don’t really get why I need to give it up. And I also have a pretty hardcore sweetened latte habit so there’s that too. Yeah, it doesn’t sound like I’m giving up anything, does it. Well, I am. I haven’t had any bread (except the wrapper of a tiny spanakopita last night) in days. No toast, no noodles, no cookies, no crackers. Nothing. Nada. It hasn’t been as bad as I feared but it does take a bit of extra thinking when I get hungry.
Tonight we were going to go out to dinner but our plans changed. I didn’t have anything thawed out to cook so I decided to wing it. Thankfully I had a fridge full of veggies and frozen shrimp in the freezer. Shrimp are awesome as a last minute protein because they thaw super fast in water. So a bit of this and a bit of that was chopped up to add to the skillet. Then a quick glance at the interwebs to remind me what was “allowed” on paleo and what wasn’t. What emerged was a delicious curry that I would make again in a minute. Without rice it is a bit runny but I ate the sauce with a spoon with no complaints. I think you could easily make this same recipe and add chicken broth to it to make a delightful soup. Dewey and I both really enjoyed it and I will make it again. Be warned, though, if you use a full teaspoon of red pepper flakes it is quite spicy so adjust accordingly.
Paleo Coconut Lime Shrimp Curry
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1 inch fresh ginger grated
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes or up to 1 tsp. Warning that is runny nose hot
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 medium yellow onion peeled, cut in half and sliced thinly
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 1 red bell pepper coarsely chopped
- 1 cup brown mushrooms
- 1 pound raw shrimp shelled, deveined with tails removed
- 3 large handfuls of baby spinach
- juice of 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix the coconut milk, curry powder, grated ginger and red pepper flakes in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the coconut oil over medium high to high heat.
- Add the garlic and cook until just brown.
- Add onions and cook until they begin to soften.
- Add broccoli and celery. Cook until brocolli starts to turn bright green.
- Add mushrooms and shrimp. Cook until shrimp start to turn pink (but are not done).
- Add sauce and stir. Bring mixture to a bubble. Add baby spinach.
- Stir to incorporate spinach.
- Add lime juice and cook until spinach wilts.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- If you are paleo....eat. If you are not, server with steamed rice.
Looking for other Paleo recipes? Check these out!