I’ve never been a huge breakfast eater but it is Dewey’s favourite meal. Over the last few years I’ve really tried to find things that I like that aren’t really just dessert for breakfast. A few years ago when we were in Mexico, I tried a dish called Huevos Divorciados (Divorced Eggs). I LOVED them and ordered them every day for the rest of the trip. Crazily enough I never made these for myself at home. No idea why but I this is going to be in heavy rotation from now on.
You may be asking yourself why these are called Divorced Eggs. Well, as far as I can tell, it is because each of the eggs has a different kind of salsa on them…one red and one green. Traditionally this can be served with tortilla chips or with a toastada under each egg. If you are not following a paleo lifestyle, definitely use a tostada under the ham and serve the huevos divorciados with a side of refried black beans.
Paleo Huevos Divorciados (Divorced Eggs)
- 2 slices deli ham
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp red salsa for paleo make sure it is low/no sugar, spice level of your preference
- 2 tbsp green salsa for paleo make sure it is low/no sugar, spice level of your preference
- 1 tbsp queso fresco
Non Paleo Option Additions
- 2 tostadas
- 1/2 cup refried black beans
- Heat a medium skillet and lightly fry the two pieces of deli ham (warm but not crispy).
- Place the ham side by side on a plate.
- Add oil or butter in to the skillet and add two eggs. Fry on each side until your preferred doneness.
- Place one fried egg on each slice of ham.
- Add red salsa on one egg and green salsa on the other egg (you can heat up the salsa if you would like).
- Crumble cheese on top.
- Serve hot.
Now, please excuse me while I go enjoy my little slice of Mexico for breakfast. Yum!
Disclosure: I am part of the Life Made Delicious blogger program and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation. The opinions in this blog are my own.