Baking hasn’t been a big priority lately. While my scale may tell a different story, I’ve been trying to eat better these days….which means less baking. Occasionally, though, I need to throw a bit of baking my family’s way to keep the mutiny at bay. Off I went to see what I had in the pantry. Pins touting peanut butter squares have been torturing me for weeks and I had the ingredients so I decided to give one a whirl. Peanut butter is one of my favorite foods but it needs to be GOOD peanut butter.
Aside: We are a two peanut butter kind of house. I buy natural salted peanut butter for me and Kraft smooth for Dewey. I like that my peanut butter tastes like salted peanuts. Dewey likes that his tastes like his childhood (i.e. hydrogenated oils and icing sugar). He also hates that mine is stored in the fridge and needs to be stirred occasionally. Do you have one kind in your house or do different family members have different preferences? Also…Evan likes mine better too.
Back to the blondies! I chose to use my natural crunchy peanut butter so that these squares would have a super peanut buttery taste. It worked and I will definitely be making these again. They were Dewey’s favorite.
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line an 8X8 baking dish with parchment paper spritzed with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix the melted butter and sugar together. Add the egg, vanilla extract, peanut butter and egg, mix thoroughly.
- Add the salt and flour and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon into prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the top comes out clean. Bake a little less time if you prefer a chewier bar.
- Let cool, lift out of pan by the parchment and cut into squares.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 443 Saturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 46mg Sodium: 236mg Carbohydrates: 48g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 32g Protein: 7g