Disclosure: This post on how to prevent the spread of flu has been sponsored by Loblaw. As always, all opinions are my own.
We had an unhappy boy at our house this past weekend. We were in Calgary for the weekend but he couldn’t go and visit his friends because he had a cold. Even though he was disappointed, we knew that staying home was the best bet to prevent the spread of flu and colds. Thankfully, this was just a cold but I am making sure that he understands that when in doubt, stay at home.
So, what are the best ways to prevent the spread of flu and colds?
- Maintain a healthy diet – While this advice is important any time of year, it is vital during flu season. Your body needs to be working at its best to fight off infection. Not sure what you should be eating? Make an appointment with one of the in-store dietitians at Loblaws City Market. You can also read my interview with an in-store dietitian last flu season.
- Get your flu shot! – Your number one way to avoid the flu is to get your flu shot. Depending on how well the vaccine is matched to this year’s common viruses, 70-90 per cent of flu cases can be averted through vaccination. Thankfully, you can pop into the pharmacy at any Real Canadian Superstore or Loblaws City Market to get a shot without an appointment!
- Know when to stay home – At our house, we stay home as much as possible with any new cold or flu symptoms. With the flu, you will likely run a fever. Stay home if your temperature passes 100 degrees. Remember you should be fever-free for at least 24 hours before returning to work or school.
- Keep your body strong – Your body needs certain things to stay healthy. Adequate rest (7-8 hours of sleep per night….turn off the Netflix!), plenty of fluids (at least 8 glasses of water per day), a healthy diet and an active lifestyle (walking is a great option).
- Wash your hands – Make hand washing a habit all day, every day. Germs thrive on hard surfaces, especially at school and work. Washing your hands keeps you from passing those germs to your nose, mouth and eyes which are prime gateways for germs and viruses.
Don’t forget to read my 7 Flu Prevention Tips for Fall and 7 Healthy Recipes to Boost Your Vitamins and Minerals to Fight the Flu.
Loblaws wants to help you remember to stay healthy and prevent the spread of flu this year. They have supplied me with a $100 gift card to giveaway to one of my readers. This giveaway is open to Canadian residents. Enter below: