Pizza is a favorite at our house. We eat a LOT of it but mostly at restaurants or as delivery. I like homemade pizza but I never think of it early enough to make homemade pizza dough. Nope, I need something quick and easy that I can make in under an hour…instead of having almost an hour of JUST rising time.
So pizza was never one of my go to quick weeknight meals. I stuck with pasta skillets and other easy dishes. Then I wrote a post for BuzzFeed about easy weeknight dinners and found this great recipe for cheater pizza from Frugal Edmonton Mama. In fact, I even bought a new cast iron skillet JUST so I could give it a try.
I made a few adjustments so I thought I would share my version. I don’t keep self rising flour in my house so I had to make a few subs. If you DO keep it in your house, check out the recipe I linked to above. It worked out really great. We all really liked the pizza though be warned that it doesn’t have the same taste or “bite” as a normal pizza does. It’s more like a biscuit crust but still super tasty and very easy. I can’t wait to make a pan of breadsticks using this dough.
Quick and Easy Cheater Pizza Recipe
No time to make yeast pizza dough? Make this instead!
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp olive oil, ~1 Tbsp
- 1/3 cup pizza sauce, or substitute spaghetti sauce in a pinch
- 1 cup mozzarella
- 1/2 cup pepperoni
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- 1/2 cup bell peppers
- Prep all your pizza toppings (i.e make sure they are shredded, chopped, etc before you get started).
- Turn on your oven's broiler to it's highest setting (usually ~ 550 degrees).
- Put a 12" cast iron skillet into the oven to preheat for ~10 minutes (while you make your dough).
- Add the first 6 ingredients into a stand mixer and mix with a dough hook. Dough should be a bit wet. Mine wasn't so I added an additional bit of water. Make sure you have a dough where all ingredients are incorporated.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and roll out to 1 cm thick.
- Take your cast iron skillet out of the oven and add a swirl of olive oil. Gently place dough into pan (be careful...it is HOT).
- Add sauce and toppings.
- Place in oven where broiler is on. Cook for ~ 5 minutes or until the cheese is melting and starting to bubble. Turn off oven and leave for an additional 5 minutes.
- Let pizza sit for 2-3 minutes and then remove from the pan to cut.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 498Saturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 1105mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 20g
What are your favorite pizza toppings?