Tomorrow is Canadian Thanksgiving. This year is very different than Thanksgivings in the past. We aren’t heading to Nana’s for dinner. Dewey caught a plane this morning heading to Emerson Exchange in Denver, CO while Evan and I hang out here. In the past, we’ve always been together either here for Thanksgiving or away for Exchange. This year we decided that it was best to keep Evan in school instead of going away for a week.
I couldn’t quite get behind cooking Thanksgiving dinner for Evan and I so I was thankful when we got an invite to join a friend for dinner. Instead of cooking everything, I get to make Sweet Potato Casserole and Apple Pie. I should have taken a chance and made my own pastry but I decided that making a pie for others was not the best time for first time pastry.
So I grabbed the Philadelphia Cookbook to see if there was an Apple Pie recipe to try. Funnily enough, there was one and it is from Inez, the same lovely lady that submitted the tea cake recipe I made earlier this week.
While the recipe is for only one pie, I am pretty sure she always made 12-inch deep dish pies. The pie crusts I bought were normal 9-inch crusts so the filling recipe above made enough for two pies. Perfect! One to sample (for safety of course) and one to take to dinner.
An American favourite for any occasion....apple pie!
- 4 frozen pie crusts, 2 bottoms and 2 tops
- 6 Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored and sliced thin
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- If using frozen crusts, thaw per package instructions.
- Mix apples, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt together.
- Pour apples evenly into the two pie crusts bottoms.
- Dot the top of the apples in each pie crust with the butter.
- Place top pastry round on each pie. Pinch around the edges to seal.
- Cut slits in the top crust to vent or use small cookie cutter to make a vent in the middle.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until golden brown and apples are tender.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 303Saturated Fat: 4gSodium: 200mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 3g
Easy and delicious!