Rhubarb is in season and it is the perfect time to make these Rhubarb Cherry Oat Crumble Bars! I love the sweet and sour taste of rhubarb desserts. When deciding what to make, I wanted to try a new recipe and I didn’t want to do the normal rhubarb and strawberry combo. Sweet cherries (one of my favorite fruits) popped in to mind. A few minutes on google and I found a few rhubarb recipes that I wanted to tweak. The rest is history.
I can not tell you how DELICIOUS these are. The almond extract adds another level of deliciousness so don’t skip it! I will definitely be making these again. One note, I used fresh rhubarb and frozen cherries. I think this added a bit of time to the baking time so if you use fresh cherries, start checking the doneness about 10 or 15 minutes early. Remember that rhubarb is only around for a short time every year but you can chop it and freeze it to use for later.
Rhubarb Cherry Oat Crumble Bars
Oat Crumb Topping
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 1/2 pound rhubarb chopped in to 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 pound dark sweet cherries cut in half
- 4 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp whole wheat flour
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 13X9 pan with parchment paper leaving an inch of parchment paper overhang.
- Grease and flour the pan/parchment paper.
Oat Crumb Topping
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Drizzle melted butter in to the mixture and stir well.
- Break up any clumps to have a consistent crumb mixture.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.
- In a mixer bowl, combine softened butter, Greek yogurt and confectioners sugar.
- Mix until fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time while mixer is running on med high speed.
- Turn mixer to low and add almond extract.
- Fold in flour with a spatula.
- Set aside.
- Rinse cherries and rhubarb pieces with cold water.
- Place in a large bowl and add sugar and flour.
- Toss to coat.
- Spread cake base evenly on the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle with rhubarb/cherry mixture.
- Evenly cover with crumb mixture.
- Bake for 50 - 65 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool in the pan.
- Remove bars by lifting them out with the parchment paper.
- Cut in to bars.
Love bar recipes? Try these!