Growing up, cheese straws were a big thing that people made or bought especially near Christmas. I miss having them around during the holidays so I love this easy cheese straws recipe that I can whip up any time.
Cheese straws are a savoury treat with a cookie-like texture. They are a perfect foil for all the sweet treats on offer over the holidays. They also go really well with cocktails that might not work well with sweets.
Plus, sometimes you just want something cheesy, am I right? These aren’t exactly like the Southern cheese straws of my youth, but they are delicious. They also make a great addition to a charcuterie platter!
Plus, they stir together easily with just a few ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. Yum!
Add these to your holiday baking list and I promise you won’t be disappointed. They even served them at Downton…or at least that is what Downton Abbey Cooks said. This recipe for easy cheese straws was tested and adapted from there.
Easy Cheese Straws – A Savoury Party Treat!
- 1 cup Parmesan, grated
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch Cayenne pepper
- 3 1/4 tbsp. butter
- 1 egg yolk
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine 3/4 C of the Parmesan cheese, flour, salt and cayenne pepper. Mix well.
- Add the butter and cut it into the Parmesan mixture until it resembles a breadcrumb mixture.
- Add the egg yolk and mix into a dough
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured countertop and roll it into a rough rectangle about 1/4” thick. Cut dough into 1/2” wide strips and about 4 – 6 inches long.
- Put them onto a lined/greased baking sheet and sprinkle the remaining Parmesan on top.
- Bake for approximately 10 – 15 minutes or until golden.
I used an extra yolk to make the dough come together, but my eggs are farm eggs and are often smaller than regular eggs.
The dough seems crumbly at first but it comes together as you mix and roll it out.
I baked them for about 12 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 25
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 45Saturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 171mgCarbohydrates: 3gProtein: 1g
Looking for a few more perfect party recipes? Check these out!