Chilly Fall days mean that I am pulling out ALL the soup recipes. I found a lonely pack of frozen stew meat yesterday so I thawed it out for stew today. Everyone ate it which is rare. This slow cooker recipe is infinitely flexible. You’ll notice from the pictures that we were out of carrots and I forgot to put in the mushrooms. Ooops. I’ve made this before using all the “right” ingredients and it tastes great both ways.
There are few things better than coming in after a busy day to a house that smells wonderful because dinner is done. Hot and hearty stew with little prep work and it cooks while you are busy with your life. We love our crockpot because it is perfect for our busy family life.
The best meal for a cold winter's day.
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 lbs beef stew meat cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup all purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups beef or chicken broth
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 3 large tomatoes, diced
- 3 potatoes, diced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, added for the last 30-45 minutes
- Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat.
- Dredge stew meat in flour and brown on all sides. Add additional oil as needed to brown all the meat.
- Place meat in the crockpot. Sprinkle approximately a bit of the flour over the meat in the crockpot.
- Stir in the garlic, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, onion, broth, potatoes and carrots.
- Cover and cook on low for 10 to 12 hours or on high for 4 to 6 hours. Add mushrooms in the last 30 minutes to 1 hour of cooking time.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 344Saturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 88mgSodium: 407mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 35g