Comfort food…..those dishes that instantly take you back to your childhood….. to your happy place……that make you feel warm just thinking about them. Chicken and dumplings is one of those dishes for me. Though I love it, I rarely make it because it seemed like a LOT of work. I also think I was afraid it wouldn’t stand up to my expectations. Well, now I have found the perfect CrockPot Chicken and Dumplings recipe. It is yummy enough to honor my memories yet easy enough for this busy mom to make.
The pictures with this post were made with chicken breasts (3) instead of chicken thighs. I also didn’t have mushrooms so they aren’t in there. I have made the recipe both ways. Just wanted to let you know in case you were looking for mushrooms.
Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings. Southern comfort food made easier in your crockpot. The perfect dinner on a cold winter night.
- Add potato, carrot, onion, garlic and mushrooms to the crock pot.
- Whisk together the flour and chicken broth. Pour over veggies.
- Add spices and chicken pieces. Stir well and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours.
- One hour before you want to serve the chicken and dumplings, stir in the frozen peas.
- Let chicken mixture return to bubbling.
- Stir dumpling ingredients together in a small bowl but don't over mix.
- Drop into bubbling chicken mixture by tablespoonfuls.
- Cook for 20 - 25 minutes or until dumplings are done in the middle.
Recipe Notes: This recipe is awesome. There is some variability on saltiness depending on the broth you use. If it seems bland just add salt and pepper at the table. This is going to be a go to recipe from now on. The entire family LOVED it.
Love CrockPot recipes? Check out these!