Comfort food…..those dishes that instantly take you back to your childhood….. to your happy place……that makes you feel warm just thinking about them. Chicken and dumplings from scratch are one of those dishes for me. Figuring out how to make CrockPot Chicken and Dumplings? EVEN BETTER!
Though I love chicken and dumplings, I rarely made it because it seemed like a LOT of work. I also think I was afraid it wouldn’t stand up to my expectations. Well, now I have found the perfect Chicken and Dumplings from scratch made in the CrockPot! It is yummy enough to honour my memories yet easy enough for this busy mom to make. Yep. CrockPot Chicken and Dumplings is just that easy!
The pictures with this post were made with chicken breasts (3) instead of chicken thighs. I also didn’t have mushrooms so they aren’t in there. Basically, this recipe is so delicious and easy, you can tweak it to use what you have in hand. Just wanted to let you know in case you were looking for mushrooms.
CrockPot Chicken and Dumplings from Scratch
1 large potato, peeled and chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 onion, peeled and chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
1 Litre chicken broth
1/4 cup flour
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ground thyme
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
8 boneless skinless chicken thighs or 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1-inch pieces)
2 cups frozen peas
6 Tbsp butter, melted
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
Prep your veggies and add them to your crock pot.
Whisk chicken broth and flour together.
Add broth mixture, spices and chicken pieces to your crock pot. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
One hour before you want to serve your meal, add frozen peas. Cover and allow the food to come back to a bubble.
While you are waiting, make your dumplings.
Stir together until you get a soft dough. Drop into the dumpling mixture in the Crock Pot in small spoonfuls. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until dumplings are done in the middle.
CrockPot Chicken and Dumplings from Scratch (Printable)
Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings. Southern comfort food made easier in your crockpot. The perfect dinner on a cold winter night.
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 litre chicken broth,
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 6 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Add potato, carrot, onion, garlic and mushrooms to the crock pot.
- Whisk together the flour and chicken broth. Pour over veggies.
- Add spices and chicken pieces. Stir well and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours.
- One hour before you want to serve the chicken and dumplings, stir in the frozen peas.
- Let chicken mixture return to bubbling.
- Stir dumpling ingredients together in a small bowl but don't over mix.
- Drop into bubbling chicken mixture by tablespoonfuls.
- Cook for 20 - 25 minutes or until dumplings are done in the middle.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 512Saturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 175mgSodium: 953mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 38g
Recipe Notes: This recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings is awesome. There is some variability on saltiness depending on the broth you use. If it seems bland just add salt and pepper at the table. This is going to be a go-to recipe from now on. The entire family LOVED it.