Whether we like it or not, fall is upon us. The kids have gone back to school and we’re starting to see leaves littering the sidewalks. Personally, I thought I would mourn the passing of summer but I have loved the few cooler days we’ve had. This past Saturday was one of those cool, rainy days where you curl up on the couch with a good book and a latte (or a computer and a latte so you can power through the rest of the site redesign…but that’s just me). For maximum couch curling, I decided to look for a warm and filling recipe that I cook in the slow cooker while I lounged. The family gave this recipe two thumbs up and it made the house smell DIVINE while it was cooking. I can see this being asked for again and again as the days grow colder.
Slow Cooker Sausage and Bean Casserole
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and sliced thin
- 2 1/2 pounds sausages I used 4 large mild Italian and 5 small hot Italian
- 1/2 cup wine
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 large carrots coarsely chopped
- 28 fl oz can diced tomatoes undrained
- 38 oz canned Romano beans (2 cans) drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat and add onion and garlic.
- Cook until translucent and starting to brown ~5 minutes.
- Add onions and garlic to large slow cooker.
- Add sausages to pan and brown on all sides (5 - 7 mins).
- Add sausages to the slow cooker.
- Add wine to pan and deglaze the bottom of the pan.
- Add wine to the slow cooker.
- Add chopped bell pepper, carrots, tomatoes, beans and ketchup to slow cooker.
- Add seasonings to the slow cooker and stir.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or for 3-4 hours on high.
- Serve with steamed rice and hot sauce.