Mexican food is one of my favorite cuisines. Unfortunately, we don’t get it very often here in Calgary. I keep meaning to cook more Mexican style dishes but I never think to. Earlier this week was Cinco de Mayo so it reminded me that I really wanted something with Mexican flavors that wasn’t tacos.
I decided to make an easy rice bowl with chicken and beans. I love the flavors and it would make for delicious leftovers for lunch. Dewey and I both loved it and I was right…the lunch leftovers were awesome. Evan turned up his nose (of course) so he ate rice, chicken and cheese separately. I still call that a win, though, because we all ate the sam general meal. No separate preparations needed.
A delicious bowl recipe for a quick and easy dinner.
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 can Spicy Red Pepper Alymar Accents Diced Tomatoes or similar, Rotel would totally work, undrained
- 1 can romano or pinto beans, drained
- 1 tsp cumin
- juice from 1/2 of a fresh lime
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- Optional Toppings: shredded cheese, hot sauce, sour cream, avocodo, lime slices
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and stir. Cook for 3 minutes and push over to one side.
- Add additional oil if needed and add chicken thighs to the pan. Continue to cook and turn chicken until browned on both sides...about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, beans, cumin and lime juice.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer covered for 10 minutes. (I chopped the chicken thighs up as it cooked. You can do that or leave them whole.)
- Serve over white rice and garnish with your choice of toppings.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 227Saturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 83mgCarbohydrates: 21gSugar: 1gProtein: 19g
Want more great Mexican food ideas? Here are some additional recipes that I love!
What are your favorite Mexican food recipes that you make again and again?