The sun is shining and it feels like summer! Now it’s time to get our entertaining on. I love having people over and cooking for them. I have quite a few go to recipes for dinner but I really need to up my dessert game. I’ve been looking for a few great summer cake recipes to try.
I’m loving this Creamy Lime Poke Cake recipe because it is easy, creamy (cream cheese is IN THE HOUSE) and delicious. Plus it has that retro flair that I love. I think it will be the summer cake at all our parties!
What is a poke cake anyway? Jello introduced the poke cake back in the ’70s and it has made resurgence in the last few years. It is an easy way to turn a plain cake in to a fruity masterpiece. This recipe takes it one step forward by adding a cream cheese layer as well. Fruity and cheesecake-y all in one is a win in my books!
This is also a great summer cake to make with your kids. All you have to do is make a white cake from a box (or your favorite scratch recipe) and bake it in a 13X9 pan. Poke holes in it using a fork or a skewer (kids LOVE helping with this part). Mix up your gelatin (see recipe for instructions!) and pour it half of it over the prepared cake.
Mix the other half with your softened cream cheese.
Spread that over your completely cooled cake. Then add your whipped topping and lime zest.
I love lime and cherry together so I decorated my cake with lime wedges and maraschino cherries. It reminds me of Cherry Limeade!
Summer Cakes – Creamy Lime Poke Cake Recipe
- 18.25 oz white cake mix, prepared to package instructions, Normal box cake mix size
- 3 oz lime gelatin, divided, small package
- 1 cup boiling water, for gelatin
- 16 ounces cream cheese, 2 8 oz packages
- ½ cup powdered sugar, divided
- 8 ounces whipped topping, thawed
- Lime zest
- maraschino cherries with stems
- Bake cake in 13x9 pan according to package instructions. Allow to cool.
- Using a fork, poke holes in the top of the cake.
- Mix together the lime gelatin with 1 cup of boiling water until dissolved, and then spoon half of the gelatin carefully over the cake (reserve the other half), making sure to pour over the holes.
- Next, mix together cream cheese, powdered sugar and the other half of the prepared gelatin.
- Spread out red cream cheese mixture over the cake.
- Top with whipped topping and lime zest.
- Chill for 4 hours before serving. Decorate with lime slices and maraschino cherries.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 378 Saturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 41mg Sodium: 466mg Carbohydrates: 52g Sugar: 34g Protein: 5g
Looking for more summer desserts? Check these out!