In the South, there are many things that fall under the “It’s a Southern Thang, ya’ll” category. Coca Cola cake is DEFINITELY in that category. However, even if you are not Southern, I totally think you should try it. It is ooey gooey chocolatey goodness and super easy because it is baked and served from a 11X13 pan.
I made this for Evan’s “real” birthday (as opposed to his birthday party) because I was tired of making cupcakes. You can expect a moist chocolate cake with a glossy, sweet chocolate and pecan icing. The entire family loved it and Evan made “mmm…mmmm….mmmm” sounds the whole time he ate it.
I can see this being a requested dessert quite often in my future. The other great thing about this cake? Most of the ingredients are already in your cupboards so it doesn’t require a trip to the store. The method used to make this cake is a bit unorthodox but stick with me and you will not be disappointed.
Super Chocolatey Coca Cola Cake
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 Tbsp + 1 tsp cocoa
- 6 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 3/4 cups confectioners powdered sugar
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 11 X 13 pan.
- In a medium saucepan, combine Coke, oil, butter and cocoa and bring it to a boil.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour and salt.
- Pour Coke mixture into the flour mixture and mix well.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, baking soda and vanilla and mix well.
- Pour in to prepared pan and bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- In a medium saucepan, combine butter, cocoa and milk.
- Heat until butter melts and mix well.
- Add vanilla, confectioners sugar and mix well.
- Fold in pecan pieces.
- Spread on cake while still warm.