This is the BEST baked macaroni and cheese recipe! Once you’ve made it, you will never use another recipe. Promise!
Evan constantly asks me to make him mac & cheese with the caveat “The one NOT from a box!” In the past, I’ve always used the Pioneer Woman’s Mac & Cheese recipe from her Accidental Country Girl cookbook. I liked the recipe but I didn’t *love* it.
A few months later, I got The Mac + Cheese Cookbook by Allison Arevalo and Erin Wade but I haven’t taken the time to try out any of the recipes. After my grand plan to make crockpot mac and cheese fell through because I spent too long running errands, I decided to flip through my new cookbook and see if anything called to me.
Even though the book is FULL of recipes for different kinds of mac & cheese, I decided to try out the standard, normal, non-weird, kid friendly mac & cheese recipe first. Oh my goodness….it was DECADENT and delicious.
Now it is my go-to recipe whenever we have company. In fact, it’s become a dish I am known for. Evan asks for it often. If you visit on a weekend, you will probably get served this mac and cheese with my favourite Crock Pot BBQ Ribs recipe. Yum!
Homemade Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Super Creamy Baked Mac & Cheese
- 3 cups whole homo milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 3/4 pound dry macaroni ~375 grams
- 2 1/4 cups grated old cheddar one entire 200 g pkg
- 3/4 cups Pecorino cheese similar to parmesan, grated
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a large casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil for the macaroni.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk until just bubbling. Remove from heat.
- In a separate, heavy bottomed, medium to large saucepan, melt the butter.
- Once the butter is just melted, sprinkle the flour on to the butter.
- Whisk the butter and flour together and cook until light brown (about 3 - 5 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Add the milk to the butter/flour mixture a cup at a time. When you add the first cup it will immediately become thick and clumpy...DON'T PANIC!
- Continue to add the milk to the flour mixture while stirring. The clumps should melt away.
- Once everything is mixed together, place pan on medium high heat and cook for 3 - 5 minutes until the sauce looks smooth and silky and when a spoon dipped in to the sauce sticks to the spoon instead of sliding off.
- Add seasoning salt and dried mustard to the sauce and stir.
- Add dry macaroni to the boiling water and cook until just slightly less done than al dente.
- If your sauce pan is large enough to hold sauce and mac, add cheeses to the sauce and heat until melted. If not, pour sauce in a larger pan, add cheese and heat until melted.
- Drain macaroni and rinse it with cold water, draining again.
- Add cooked and drained macaroni to the cheese sauce and stir until the noodles are completely covered.
- Pour mac and cheese into prepared casserole dish and sprinkle the top with the panko bread crumbs.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 - 20 minutes or until the panko crumbs are lightly browned.
You will not regret making this baked macaroni and cheese recipe for family and friends as often as possible!