This is the BEST baked macaroni and cheese recipe! Once you’ve made it, you will never use another recipe. Promise!
Evan constantly asks me to make him mac & cheese with the caveat “The one NOT from a box!” In the past, I’ve always used the Pioneer Woman’s Mac & Cheese recipe from her Accidental Country Girl cookbook. I liked the recipe but I didn’t *love* it.
A few months later, I got The Mac + Cheese Cookbook by Allison Arevalo and Erin Wade but I haven’t taken the time to try out any of the recipes. After my grand plan to make crockpot mac and cheese fell through because I spent too long running errands, I decided to flip through my new cookbook and see if anything called to me.
Even though the book is FULL of recipes for different kinds of mac & cheese, I decided to try out the standard, normal, non-weird, kid friendly mac & cheese recipe first. Oh my goodness….it was DECADENT and delicious.
Now it is my go-to recipe whenever we have company. In fact, it’s become a dish I am known for. Evan asks for it often. If you visit on a weekend, you will probably get served this mac and cheese with my favourite Crock Pot BBQ Ribs recipe. Yum!
Homemade Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
The BEST baked macaroni and cheese recipe you will ever make. Once you try it, you will never use another recipe.
- 3 cups whole homo milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 3/4 pound dry macaroni ~375 grams
- 2 1/4 cups grated old cheddar one entire 200 g pkg
- 3/4 cups Pecorino cheese similar to parmesan, grated
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a large casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil for the macaroni.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk until just bubbling. Remove from heat.
- In a separate, heavy bottomed, medium to large saucepan, melt the butter.
- Once the butter is just melted, sprinkle the flour on to the butter.
- Whisk the butter and flour together and cook until light brown (about 3 - 5 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Add the milk to the butter/flour mixture a cup at a time. When you add the first cup it will immediately become thick and clumpy...DON'T PANIC!
- Continue to add the milk to the flour mixture while stirring. The clumps should melt away.
- Once everything is mixed together, place pan on medium high heat and cook for 3 - 5 minutes until the sauce looks smooth and silky and when a spoon dipped in to the sauce sticks to the spoon instead of sliding off.
- Add seasoning salt and dried mustard to the sauce and stir.
- Add dry macaroni to the boiling water and cook until just slightly less done than al dente.
- If your sauce pan is large enough to hold sauce and mac, add cheeses to the sauce and heat until melted. If not, pour sauce in a larger pan, add cheese and heat until melted.
- Drain macaroni and rinse it with cold water, draining again.
- Add cooked and drained macaroni to the cheese sauce and stir until the noodles are completely covered.
- Pour mac and cheese into prepared casserole dish and sprinkle the top with the panko bread crumbs.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 - 20 minutes or until the panko crumbs are lightly browned.
You will not regret making this baked macaroni and cheese recipe for family and friends as often as possible!