My kitchen has been pretty lonely the last few years. When Evan was little, I baked all the time usually with his help. These days, he’d rather play, draw or watch Netflix (Chuck the Truck, anyone?). Regardless, this weekend I was GOING to bake a cake. You see, Friday was Dewey’s birthday and I haven’t made him a cake in forever. I refused to take the easy way out and make a cake that I’d already made before or to default to a cake mix cake (I do make them sometimes….but not this weekend!). Off to the interwebs I went looking for just the right cake.
It took longer than I thought it would. Some had too many nuts (what is up with all the cakes with nuts? I am not really a fan.), some had too many instructions, some needed weird ingredients that required a trip to the store. I wanted a cake that wasn’t too simple in taste but was really simple in the making. I don’t ask for much, do I? In my searching, I found this one bowl chocolate cake. From there I decided to wing it a bit. I added sweet orange/mango marmalade (called Merry Marmalade no less) that we love from the farmer’s market and cream cheese icing to make it a masterpiece of YUM.
Here’s the final result. I hope you enjoy it (we sure are). Dewey said he wants it as his birthday cake from now on and that I am not allowed to change anything….ever.
Sweet Orange & Mango Marmalade Filled Chocolate Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 cup sweet orange marmalade I used Merry Marmalade from the farmer's market
- 3/4 cup light cream cheese what I had use regular if you like
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar icing sugar
- For cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans.
- Mix first 6 ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add wet ingredients except for the espresso.
- Mix well.
- Add coffee and mix again (ending batter will be quite runny).
- Pour equal amounts in each cake pan.
- Tap on the counter a few times to release any air bubbles.
- Place in the oven on the middle rack.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool cakes completely on a cooling rack.
- For frosting:
- Microwave butter for approximately 10 seconds or until just starting to soften.
- Add butter, cream cheese and vanilla to a mixer with whisk attachment.
- Mix on high until creamed together and smooth.
- Add powdered sugar a bit at a time until you have frosting. (You may have to add a bit more if you want stiffer frosting)
- To assemble:
- Place one layer on a cake plate.
- Spread marmalade on top in an even layer.
- Add second layer.
- Spoon frosting on top of cake pushing it over the sides to frost the sides as well.
- Cut into slices and enjoy.