Lemon cookies are one of my favourites. Sweet and tangy, they are a welcome change from the usual holiday cookie jar inhabitants. When choosing what cookies to make for Christmas, I wanted something new. I love my old favorites but I craved a change. This recipe for sweet and tangy iced lemon cookies totally fit the bill!
Holiday baking brings back memories of cooking with my Granny as a child. We loved baking together. We often made chocolate chip cookies, banana bread and I’m sure she stirred up a batch of tea cakes or two.
Today I took it one step further by pulling out my vintage Pyrex bowl to stir them together. I love cookies that are easy enough to make by hand. I can rarely be bothered to pull out my mixer. I much prefer to stir them up myself!
Real lemon juice and zest give these lemon cookies a sweet and tangy flavour that your family and friends will love. It’s punched up even further by a delicious icing on top. Don’t worry, though, the icing is easy peasy to make and really kicks it up a notch.
Sweet and Tangy Iced Lemon Cookies Printable Recipe
Sweet & Tangy Iced Lemon Cookies
- 11/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment or Silpat.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
- Add egg, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla. Mix well.
- In a small bowl, mix together salt, baking powder and flour.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture and mix completely. You may need to use your hands to get it to incorporate fully.
- Roll into one inch balls or use a small cookie scoop for cookies. Place on prepared baking sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes (less will give you a softer cookie and more will give you a crispier cookie).
- Stir together glaze ingredients. Spoon a small amount on each cookie when still warm.
Don’t forget to pin for later!
Looking for more great Cookie Recipes? Check these out!