Summer days are coming to an end. We’re saying goodbye to later bed times, unscheduled meal times (that often contain way more junk food than they should) and relaxed days. Now it is hello to early mornings, packing lunches, busy days and hectic evenings. To keep everyone going, you need to find a back to school routine that works and to fuel everyone properly.
Time and patience is at a premium, so make sure to pick foods that deliver ease AND nutrition. Fancy and fussy is NOT what you need at this time of year. Instead, how about figuring out a way to deliver food your family will love with a bit more of a nutritional punch? Sound good? Thought so!
Check out this recipe for Turkey and Lentil Ragu. It’s easy and delicous plus full of nutrients. Why turkey and lentils? Well, turkey packs a big punch with each 100-gram serving providing about 30 grams of high quality lean protein. It’s also packed with nutrients like vitamin B12 (important in keeping your nervous system – the body’s electrical wiring – working well), selenium (an antioxidant mineral) and zinc (for a strong immune system). Lentils are high in protein and fiber, and a great source of minerals such as potassium, iron, and folate.
Together, Canadian turkey and lentils can become the building blocks for everyday meal solutions that power up your family and get them ready for busy, activity-filled days. Choose recipes, like this one, that include both lentils and turkey, and double your nutritional punch. Put Canadian turkey and lentils on your plate every day and you can feel good knowing that you are feeding your family healthy and nutritious food that will get everyone through their days filled with energy and good-for-you fuel!
Turkey and Lentil Ragu – A Great Back to School Recipe!
Check out this back to school recipe featuring Canadian Turkey and Lentils! Turkey and Lentil Ragu is perfect for busy school nights!
- 1 tbsp 15 ml olive oil
- 1 ½ cups 375 ml onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 1/2 kg 1 lb ground Canadian turkey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Canadian turkey sausages (large) casings removed
- ½ cup 125 ml red wine
- 2 tsp 10 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups 500 ml tomato purée
- 1 cup 250 ml water
- 1 can 796 ml or 28 ozs diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups 375 ml split red lentils
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp 5 ml ground thyme
- 1 tsp 5 ml ground oregano
- 1 tsp 5 ml ground garlic powder
- Heat olive oil in a large pot.
- Add onions and cook over low-medium heat until translucent, 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic and continue to cook until garlic is cooked through and softened and onions begin to brown, an additional 5 – 7 minutes.
- Add ground turkey and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add sausage and stir to break up into bite-sized pieces.
- Cook until turkey and sausage are cooked through, 10 – 12 minutes.
- Raise heat to high. Add wine and Worcestershire sauce and cook until liquid is absorbed, 2-4 minutes.
- Add tomato purée and stir to incorporate.
- Add water, diced tomatoes and lentils.
- Bring to a low boil.
- Reduce heat and bring to a low simmer.
- Add spices and cook for 5 – 7 minutes until lentils are cooked through.
Canadian Turkey and Lentils.org want to help you get Back to School Ready with a $75 gift card! This giveaway is open to Canadians only. Enter through the widget below.
Looking for more Turkey and Lentil Recipes? Check these out!