Raspberries are one of Evan’s favorite fruits….right up until they aren’t. Last week the whining was unending about the lack of raspberries in the refrigerator. Every day “Why don’t we have raspberries? Did you buy raspberries?” Fast forward to this week and I have 2 quart packs of raspberries languishing in the fridge because he doesn’t love them this week. Those were $7 a pack! Gah. So what is an angry mom to do? Make muffins…. Whole Grain Lemon Raspberry Muffins….of course.
So many muffin recipes are so sugary that you might as well call them a cupcake and be done with it. I liked this recipe because it didn’t call for that much sugar. The resulting muffin has a great texture and lets the beautiful raspberry flavor shine through. These raspberry lime muffins make a great breakfast, afternoon snack or lunchbox treat (without giving your child a sugar crash for the afternoon).
Raspberry Lime Muffins
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
- In large bowl, mix together buttermilk and oats. Let sit while you assemble the rest of the ingredients.
- In a small bowl, mix together whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and brown sugar.
- Add lime juice, lime zest, melted butter and egg to the oatmeal mixture. Mix well.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until just moistened.
- Gently fold in the raspberries.
- Divide the batter evenly in to the 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes and run a knife around the edges of each of the muffins before turning them out on to a cooling rack.