Zucchini season is upon us. Unlike my husband, I really like zucchini. Small, tender zucchinis are great grilled, baked or stir fried. However, if you take your eyes off your garden for long, you will end up with gigantic, monster zucchinis. Gigantic monster zucchinis are not the tastiest zucchinis to eat. So, when you you scream “AAAAAAGHHHHH the Zucchini Monster has arrived!!!!!” how about making some delicious Blueberry Zucchini muffins instead?
With the blueberry deliciousness of a classic blueberry muffin with that extra nutritional oomph of zucchini. Your family will love them. Evan even gave them two thumbs up.
Since school is back in session in a few short days/weeks. I am going to make a few batches of these and put them in the freezer. They are super easy to defrost for breakfast or as a lunch box snack.
When you have extra zucchini, shred it and freeze it so you can make these nuggets of joy all year around.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare muffin tins by spraying cups with cooking spray or lining with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugars, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a small bowl, mix oil, melted butter, milk, egg and vanilla extract.
- Stir oil mixture into the flour mixture until just moistened.
- Fold in shredded zucchini and blueberries.
- Fill prepped muffin cups 2/3 full (will make 12 full size muffins or 24 mini muffins). Bake for 20 - 25 minutes for full size muffins and 12-15 minutes for mini muffins.
- Cool for 1 minute in pan and then remove to a cooling rack.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 203 Saturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 21mg Sodium: 237mg Carbohydrates: 27g Sugar: 14g Protein: 2g
Love muffins? Check out these other delicious muffin recipes!