On Monday I signed up for Weight Watchers. I need to lose a few pounds and I need to start eating healthier. I am all about moderation but that wasn’t my life. I wasn’t moderate. I was “Let’s order the burger and onion rings and have a frosty” person multiple times per week. That is not how I should eat but I had gotten into a rut of eating what I wanted. Basically, I was eating like I was a toddler who didn’t know any better. Now I’m trading in my onion rings for snap peas…at least some of the time.
Now I have a certain number of points I can eat per day. If you decide to have onion rings, there are not many points left over for anything else. So, I have to eat more fruits and veg or I will starve. Cue figuring out how to eat more veggies without getting bored. here is a snap peas recipe I made up the other evening that is DELISH. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do, even if you aren’t on a diet. If you are, it only counts for 1 point. 🙂
Snap Peas and Mushrooms in Black Bean Sauce
- 1/4 cup of reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 4 cups sugar snap peas ~ 1/2 of a large bag
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tbsp black bean sauce
- Heat broth in a large non-stick pan over medium high heat.
- Add garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add snap peas and cook until they turn bright green.
- Add mushrooms and black bean sauce.
- Continue to cook for a minute or so until mushrooms start to soften.
Note that black bean sauce can be quite salty. If you are concerned, use a bit less. You will get the same great taste without it being too salty. This side dish is great with grilled main dishes. If you pan gets too dry during cooking, add a bit more broth.
What are your favorite healthy recipes for veggies?
Looking for more diet friendly recipes? Check these out!