Summer is finally here! Our family has begun the weekly trek to our cottage on the weekends. We love spending time in the sun enjoying nature, boating and each other. Weekends at the lake are not the time to spend hours on food preparation. Instead we like to invite neighbours over for a barbecue or for a dinner of appetizers.
One of my favorite things to have on hand is a bag of tortilla chips. They are perfect with salsa or queso dip and everyone loves them. When I was asked by Tostitos® to come up with two easy and delicious recipes using Tostitos® Tortilla Chips, I jumped at the chance. The two products I am featuring in my recipes are the Tostitos Cantina® Extra Thick Tortilla Chips and Tostitos® Scoops! ® Original.
Tostitos Cantina® Extra Thick Tortilla Chips are perfect for nachos. When I saw the thick and crispy chips that is all I could think of. Followed quickly by, “Why don’t I make nachos more often?” I decided to lighten up the usual nacho recipe by making them vegetarian. Then I headed to the pantry to pull out ingredients that I always have on hand. Black beans? Check! Nibblet corn? Check! Add in a lime, fresh tomato and cheese and YUM. My six year old ate his serving of nachos and asked for more. The next day, I warmed up leftovers and they were gone in a flash.
- ~ 1/2 of a bag of Tostitos Cantina® Extra Thick Tortilla Chips
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 1 -19 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 - 11 oz can whole kernel corn drained
- Juice of one lime
- 1 to mato diced
- ~ 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese we used sharp cheddar
- 1 - 8 oz brick of cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded
- 5 jalapenos seeds and veins removed then diced
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Tostitos® Scoops! ® Original
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add garlic and cook until starting to brown. Add black beans and corn to the skillet. Press part of the black beans with the back of your spoon as you cook them for 3-5 minutes. Add the juice of one lime to the pan.
- In a baking dish, layer half of the Tostitos® Tortilla Chips. Add half of the black bean and corn mixture, half of the diced tomato and half of the cheese. Repeat layers with remaining ingredients. Bake for 12 – 15 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve with Tostitos® salsa and sour cream.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix all ingredients except the breadcrumbs in a mixer. Pour into a 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Sprinkle bread crumbs on the top. Bake for 15 minutes. Serve hot.
Two recipes that couldn’t be more different but both were huge hits. Both will be making repeat performances throughout the summer for friends and family at the cottage.
Can’t get your fill of Tostitos? Well, you could be the lucky winner of a 3-month supply of chips and salsa! Simply check out Tostitos.ca and then comment on this post with your favourite Tostitos recipe.
A random winner will be chosen on the 31st of August. Good Luck! (Open to Canadian residents only. You can enter on more than one blog but you can only win once.)
As a Chatelaine Taster & Tester, I receive product for review. However all views are my own. I was asked by Tostitos® to come up with two easy and delicious recipes using Tostitos® products.