Reuben sandwiches are a newly found addiction of mine. Thinly sliced corned beef or smoked meat, sauerkraut, swiss cheese and mustard or thousand island. All on marble rye bread….YUM!
While I love reubens, they aren’t something that I make at home very often. I’m not sure why…maybe it is all the different ingredients for a sandwich that Evan would never eat. Who knows. When I ran across a recipe for reuben dip, I thought “Yes! I want to make this RIGHT NOW!”. Next thing you know, I had the ingredients in the grocery cart. Our next trip to the cottage presented the perfect opportunity to try it out on guinea pigs…er friends. I can’t say that it was a slam dunk hit with everyone. However, the reuben loves in the crowd really liked it. I think you could easily use grainy mustard instead of the Thousand Island dressing but, as a Southerner, I have an affinity for Thousand Island.
Make sure to heat this dip up right before you serve it because it is best piping hot. I have seen other recipes where the ingredients are mixed together and then heated instead of layers. I think this recipe would work great that way too. I layered it because it was easy (and after attending a wine and cheese that afternoon….I needed easy).
Easy Baked Rueben Dip
Love Rueben sandwiches? You'll love this delicious party dip!
- 300 ml jar sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup Thousand Island salad dressing
- 500 g corned beef or Montreal smoked meat, diced
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- crackers or mini toasts for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium baking dish, spread rinsed, drained and squeezed sauerkraut evenly.
- Mix mayo and Thousand Island dressing in a small bowl and then spread over sauerkraut.
- Sprinkle diced meat over the dressing layer.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of the meat.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve hot with crackers or mini toasts.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 101Saturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 409mgCarbohydrates: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g
What is your favorite sandwich & have you ever tried to make it in to a dip? If so…SHARE!
Thursday 25th of January 2018
Made this for New Year’s Eve and it was a huge hit!
Friday 23rd of May 2014
This intrigues me. Sauerkraut good. Corned beef good. Swiss cheese good. Thousand Islands? Well, I'll let you keep that one ;)
Friday 23rd of May 2014
But Voula, Thousand Island dressing is traditionally on a Reuben. I didn't make it up...promise!