Spending time at the cottage has been wonderful but being 20 minutes away from the store (that is the absolute closest) has taken a bit to get used to. I’m used to being around the corner from almost anything I could possibly need. So I make lists and write meal plans and plan, plan, plan. So far, I’m doing a pretty good job and I haven’t forgotten that many things (except butter on our first trip. Hard to eat toast without butter.). However, I don’t remember to buy that many snacks. We have a pack of goldfish crackers and granola bars but that’s it. Sometimes, you just want a snack in the afternoon before dinner. Thankfully, I have stocked the pantry with baking items so I decided to whip up an easy coffee cake. I love that this recipe makes a small cake so we don’t eat a ton of cake & I don’t have to worry about wasting leftovers.
Since most of the ingredients are things that you keep in your pantry all the time, and it whips up quickly, this is the perfect cake for when you have unexpected guests drop by. Stir together a few ingredients and you’ll have fresh baking to go along with that cup of tea or coffee you offer them.
Everyone in our family gave it two thumbs up. I can see this on the “hey can you make that cake?” list for a while.
Quick and Easy Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 8X8 square pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix brown sugar, flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, mix melted butter, egg and milk.
- Pour wet ingredients in to dry ingredients and mix until just moistened.
- Pour/spread in to prepared pan.
- Mix brown sugar and cinnamon together for topping.
- Evenly spread grated apple over batter.
- Sprinkle brown sugar/cinnamon mixture evenly over the cake.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes before cutting and serve warm.
Don’t miss these great Quick Cake and Bread recipes!