Cornbread is one of the things I miss most from living in Alabama. I grew up loving cornbread more than just about anything. It was always extra crispy and my grandaddy and I would cut the bottom crust off and eat it slathered in butter. I’m lying. We ate it slathered in Parkay. But don’t do that because…..ick. Use butter. Trust me. How did I manage to grow up without knowing our Southern cornbread recipe?
I figured it out. I make a pan of cornbread every time I make soup. There are few things more delicious than a bowl of soup and a slice of cornbread on a cool fall or winter evening. YUM!
Plus you can use it to make delicious cornbread stuffing (or as we called it, dressing) for Thanksgiving. For the longest time, I couldn’t make cornbread without using cornbread mix. Since you can’t get that in Calgary, eventually I had to bite the bullet and learn how to make it without a mix. This recipe is adapted from Pioneer Woman’s Skillet Cornbread recipe.
Contrary to popular belief, Southern cornbread is generally not sweet. Some are but most are not. This Southern cornbread recipe is NOT sweet at all. I also much prefer to make it with white cornmeal though yellow will work.
Just remember, whatever you do, leave your sugar for your coffee. Just don’t do it.
And one more thing…..you MUST make this in a cast iron skillet. If you try to make it in a different kind of pan it will be awful and you will blame me. Cast iron is awesome and it makes the best cornbread. Afraid it will rust? Read my post about re-seasoning cast iron. But BE CAREFUL. Cast Iron gets HOT. Make sure you have a pot holder or oven mitts handy to keep your hands from getting burned.
Southern Cornbread Recipe
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cornmeal, white or yellow
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk, or 1 Tbsp vinegar + enough milk to make up 1 cup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Pour oil in cast iron skillet and place in oven to preheat with the oven.
- Combine cornmeal, all purpose flour, salt and baking powder in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine buttermilk, milk, and egg. Once mixed, add baking soda and stir.
- Pour milk and egg mixture into cornmeal mixture. Stir until just mixed.
- Remove preheated pan and oil from the oven. Pour oil into batter and stir (be very careful...oil is HOT).
- Pour mixed batter into hot pan and place into hot oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the top of the cornbread is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and turn cornbread out top down on a plate. Cut into wedges and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 203 Saturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 25mg Sodium: 417mg Carbohydrates: 24g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 2g Protein: 5g
Hope you enjoy it and remember…..BUTTER.
Cornbread is PERFECT with these great Soup recipes from MerryAboutTown!